A stunning win for Barton Mawer at WTAC Sydney Motorsport Park
Barton Mawer continued his stunning success at World Time Attack from 2017 with a win in 2018.
His lap time went to within eight-tenths of a second of the outright track record at Sydney Motorsport Park, the 1 minute 19.825 effort in the Pro Class PR Tech Racing Porsche 968 a new event record.
Barton Mawer won ahead of Warren Luff in last year’s YWTAC-winning MCA Hammerhead Nissan Silvia S13 with a best time of 1min 21.3980s.
Third in class was the Escort Racing Mitsubishi EVO, initially driven by Fire Ando until he pulled out with a pre-existing hand injury. It was then handed over to fellow Japanese driver Under Suzuki whose car didn’t arrive into the country in time.
“It is pretty amazing isn’t it, this has been a long time coming – those who have been following World Time Attack Challenge will know this car is in its fourth year now, we have known its potential, we have talked about it, it has been written about, so to finally do a ‘sub-20’ which we thought it would have in it is amazing,”
“I ran wide at Turn 9 and there’s still some improvements in the brakes,”
“There’s more, there’s more.” said Barton Mawer
2018 WORLD TIME ATTACK CHALLENGE SYDNEY MOTORSPORT PARK BARTON MAWER’S RESULTS
Outright and Pro class: 1st
Fastest lap: 1min. 19.825sec
MODEL: Porsche 968
ENGINE: Porsche 3-litre DOHC inline 4-cylinder
TURBO: Borg-Warner EFR
ENGINE MANAGEMENT SYSTEMS: Bosch & Motec
TRANSMISION: Albins ST6 6-speed sequential transaxle with steering wheel paddle shift
SUSPENSION: Custom fabricated
BRAKES: Porsche 911 Cup ventilated discs with ABS
WHEELS: 18×12-inch Rays
TYRES: 24 x 295/40 Yokohama Advan A050, choice of soft and medium compounds
BODY: Carbon fibre front and rear sections and wings
ABOUT WORLD TIME ATTACK CHALLENGE
- Only mass production sedan-type touring and sports cars – no one-offs or limited edition specials.
- Mechanical and body modifications far beyond conventional circuit racing touring car categories.
- Engines tuned for maximum power for a single lap of a few kilometres.
- Massive aerofoils, front splitters and tabs to increase downforce for higher cornering speeds.
- Mandatory Yokohama Advan high-performance road tyre in different variants and number allowed depending on the class and vehicle weight.
- Three classes (in order of modifications allowed): Clubsprint, Open, Pro Am/Pro.
THE EVENT FORMAT
- Thursday: unofficial practice sessions.
- Friday: four 15-minute timed sessions for each class.
- Saturday: four 15-minute timed sessions for each class, followed by a Superlap Shootout single timed run late on Saturday afternoon for the fastest five in each class.
- Each driver’s fastest lap set in any timed session or the Superlap Shootout is counted for the final class and outright results.